Monday, June 8, 2009

Ruth Robinson Is Mother of Rebecca (Ross) Barefoot

Bible












REBECCA BAREFOOT’S MOTHER RUTH

Rebecca Ross’s somewhat elusive mother turned out to be Ruth Robinson and not Sabina Kuhn as many had thought. Two Barefoot cousins– Sharon Sheldon and Becky Barefoot- visited the Berks County, PA, area to do research and soon discovered the true identity of James Ross’s wife. Once they discovered Ruth Ross, they identified her father William Robinson; then they were able to learn a lot about the family. Yet they now were without a correct lineage for James Ross.

Ruth Robinson, born about 1749, was the daughter of William and Margaret Robinson. She married James Ross on 10 Dec 1767 in the St. James Episcopal Church, Lancaster, PA. To him, she had Rebecca in 1769, a female child in 1770 (died at age 2), Margaret in 1771, William in 1772, and Mary Ann in 1776. She died about 1815 and was buried in the Seceder Cemetery, Brandywine, Chester, Pennsylvania. She is a direct line “grandmother” with some greats in front of it.

Daughter Margaret married Edward Wells, Mary Ann married John Brinley, and Ezibella (Rebecca’s daughter) married Daniel Rutter. None of these three families ever claimed to be descended from Col. George Ross. Yet the James Barefoot line did. The enigmatic James Ross we seek was born about 1747 and died before 14 Nov. 1798 in Caernarvon Township, Berks, Pennsylvania. When Ruth, his wife, received 45 acres of land in the will of her father William Robinson, James lived on the land with his wife Ruth. Below is a copy of the will giving land to Rebecca Ross’s mother Ruth. Ruth and James Ross appear on tax records after this time as they begin their family with Rebecca being the oldest. This places our ancestors in Caernarvon, Berks, Pennsylvania. William Robinson is also one of our direct line “grandfathers.” Enjoy learning more about the Robinsons. Margaret Barefoot was a servant in the home of Jacob Morgan in Morgantown. With adjacent land, this gives us some link to Barefoots and Robinsons and may explain how Benjamin met Rebecca since there were at least two Barefoots employed in the Jacob Morgan home.

Will of William Robertson (Robinson, Robeson) Probated 9 August 1768
[Below is the will Rebecca Ross’s grandfather William Robinson, giving land in Morgantown, Berks County, PA, to his daughter Ruth Robinson, mother of Rebecca Ross. Her father James Ross lived on this land also with his family. The Barefoots are seeking the true parentage of this James Ross.]
In the name of God amen I William Robertson of Carnarvin in the County of Berks and province of Pennsylvania Being weak in body but of perfect mind Memory and understanding Thanks to the almighty God And Considering it is appointed for all men once to Dye do make and ordain this my last will & Testament. II resign my Soul in the Hands of its Creator in Humble hopes of its future happiness as to my body & will is that it, buryed in a decent manner at the Discretion of my Executors, hereafter named and as to my Temporal Estate that it be Dispersed of in manner and form following: First, I order that my Funeral Charges and Legal Debts be paid. Discharge out of my personal Estate after my Decease all the Remainder of my personal Estate I Give unto, beloved Wife Margaret. I further Give unto my said wife for her Choice of one Room in the new part of my Dwelling House also a good plentifall Living in every respect out of my Real Estate during her natural Life. I further give unto my wife my Servant Boy named Edward Hains during the Time of his Servitude. But if my said Wife should die before my Servant's time be expired in such case, I order that my Daughter Ruth shall have him the Remainder of his Servitude. I give unto my beloved Son, John Robertson, this Plantation wherein I now Dwell with the Appartenames there unto belonging (Excepting such part of my plantation as is hereafter given unto my Daughter Ruth ) to be taken of him the said, John Robertson his heirs, Assigns for ever. I give unto my Daughter Ruth Ross the Quantity of Forty-Five Acres of Land to be laid off for her the said Ruth Joyning the Land of Jacob Morgan, Esq., of Lands known by the name of Bucholar's Company which my Land. I give unto my Daughter Ruth and the Heirs of her Body forever. It is my will and I further order that my Son John do give unto my Daughter Ruth the Sum of five Pounds (or assistance to the value of five Pounds) towards building a home on my Daughter's Land and I do hereby constitute and appoint hereby and for him as a witness David McPherson of Lancaster County, George Erwin of Chester County, Executors of This my Last Will and Testament. I hereby revoke all other and former Wills and Testaments by me made, Declaring this and none other to be my last Will and Testament, Witnesses whereof, I have hereto put my hand and Seal this Seventh Day of May in the Year of out Lord one Thousand seven hundred and Sixty Eight, William M (his mark) Robertson (Seal) Signed Sealed Published Declared by the Testators as his Last Will and Testament in the presence of Wm. McPherson John McPherson Mary McPherson.
Reading Berks County Pennsylvania on the Ninth Day of August in the Year of our Lord one Thousand Seven hundred and Sixty Eight personally appeared William McPherson and John McPherson two of the witnesses to the aforementioned Will who, being of the people called Quakers, on their Solemn affirmation receiving the Laws do hereby Declare and affirm that they were present together and Saw and heard William Robertson the Testator Sign Seal publish pronounce and Declare the within and above writing as said for his last Will and Testament and that at the Time of the doing thereof the said Testator was of Sound Mind Memory and understanding to the best of their Knowledge and as they verily believe and further that the named Wm McPherson and John McPherson are of their Handwriting Subscribed by them as Witness thereto (Mary McPherson Subscribing as a Witness thereto at the same Time) in the presence of each other and in the foresaid and at the Request of the said Testator. Coxammer - James Reed, Reg. (Can't really read name.)
Registered General's offices Reading Berks County, August 9th 1768 Letters Testamentary in Common form under the Seal of the said officer in the will, afore written of the said William Robertson Dec'd were granted to Daniel McPherson and George Erwin the Executors therein named being first. Solemnly attested According to Law.
Inventory to be Exhibited on or before the tenth Day of September and on Account of their Administration where the courts required. Registered and Examined by James Reed, Reg.

No comments:

Post a Comment